How many positive words associated with mental health can you think of? Maybe not as many as you’d like.
No worries! It’s normal.
Many people aren’t optimistic or encouraging when it comes to mental health. Even though we are told how important it is to show empathy and support to those with mental illness, many people fail to get the help and support they need.
The problem is that many people (maybe even you) are fearful of discussing their mental health issues, even while they understand the tremendous importance of mental health. We often feel judged by society, and our mental illness is regarded as a stigma in society.
In reality, mental health issues are real, and they can be greatly minimized simply by reducing negative self-talk and talking about mental health conditions in a nonjudgmental manner.
In addition to counseling and talking about mental health, inspirational phrases can help normalize everyone’s mental health journey. Positive words associated with mental health can also provide a framework for communicating and expressing yourself.
You can change your negative self-talk into positive self-talk by using optimistic words during your daily life at home, at work, and even while dealing with difficult relationships.
It can have huge benefits for reducing emotional stress! The best part? It’s pretty easy once you get a good start.
That’s why I’ve compiled a list of positive words associated with mental health to help you stay afloat and help reduce negative thinking.
49 Uplifting Positive Words Associated with Mental Health
I’ll admit – some of these might be cliché. So I tried to mix them in with more unique words and phrases so that it’s not just a list of toxic positivity stuff.
If you practice reading through these words and phrases as mantras, it can be a great practice for daily mental health care. As a result, you can experience mental health benefits and slowly start feeling better by replacing negative emotion with positive self-talk.
PRO TIP: Write all of these on a sheet of paper and carry them with you. When you need a reminder of the positive side of living with mental illness, take a look at the paper with these words! 🙂
1. No Worries
2. Constructive Positivity
4. Calm Down
11. Good Mood
14. Love Yourself
15. Self Confidence
37. Believing In Yourself
38. My Life Is a Movie
39. Dream Bigger Than Life
40. Laugh Often & Loudly
41. Keep Going Forward
42. Always Keep Learning
43. Knowledge Is Power
45. Open Minded
47. Intellectually Curious
48. Intellectual Stimulation
49. I’m Just Vibing (my favorite – I tell myself this 100’s of times when I’m struggling with panic attacks. It works better than “I’m fine” because it focuses on the reality that I’m not fine and that’s okay – I’m in my own space and I’ll get out of the negative space soon enough.)
I hope this list of uplifting mental health words and phrases has helped you realize that there really isn’t anything wrong when you’re facing mental health struggles. It’s part of the human experience!
There will always be ups and downs in life, but if you focus on your everyday mental health care, you’ll find that everything else becomes easier. It’s always possible to develop a more constructive outlook even if you’re struggling hard with your medical condition.
10 Positive Affirmations for Your Mental Health When You Find It Hard to Talk About Your Trauma
If you’re going through a difficult time, you might have a tendency to manifest more negative emotion and negative people. And that’s why you have this list of words and phrases to put your brain into action for thinking more constructively!
It takes a lot of courage to talk about your mental illness – especially with a positive twist. Take a look at these strong affirmations that could help you upgrade your positive self-talk:
- Life is unfair right now but I can make things better for myself.
- I am whole and enough. There is no need to be ashamed of my health / problems / issues.
- The whole world is struggling and I am no exception.
- My problems and mental health diagnosis do not define me. How I respond to them is what matters the most.
- Being depressed / anxious / bipolar / obsessive is part of the human experience. Sometimes, it’s okay to talk about it so that I can overcome it.
- I can handle any fight so that I can ultimately thrive.
- The way the world looks at me doesn’t matter. What matters the most is how I look at myself.
- I only need to share my grief/ anger/ frustration/ anxiety/ trauma with only a handful of my trusted people.
- Not everyone can relate to my trauma and that’s why I don’t need to expect everyone to be non-judgemental.
- Sometimes it’s okay to trip. After all, even the best experts make mistakes from time to time.
In addition to these affirmations, here is an inspirational quote from Matt Haig that can help you open up about your troubles:
“Mental health problems don’t define who you are. They are something you experience. You walk in the rain and you feel the rain, but, importantly, YOU ARE NOT THE RAIN.” — Matt Haig
17 Affirmations for When Things Feel Unbearable
When people become aware that they are suffering from a mental illness, they are more likely to take responsibility for their own mental well-being than ever before.
However, the road to self-healing is paved with obstacles and judgments. That’s what makes it a difficult journey. So, if you find yourself in a similar situation, here are some empowering positive affirmations that can help you focus on positive self-talk:
- I feel like shit now, but I’ll start feeling better when my body is ready.
- I’ve conquered rough days like this before. I’ll do it again this time.
- I’m living in my own space and I don’t need people to understand my mental illness or journey.
- Feeling sad, angry, annoyed, frustrated, scared, and anxious doesn’t make me weak – it makes me human.
- This feeling will pass and I will have better days.
- No matter how much darkness I see and feel, I know that it’ll eventually pass.
- “Tough times never last, but tough people do!” – Robert Schuller
- “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore
- I’ll keep moving ahead always remember that, deep down, I’m worthy of an amazing life.
- The journey I take is mine alone. It cannot be judged or understood by anyone else.
- My life is a gift and a journey. I need to go through all of the good and hard parts to become who I’m meant to be.
- I have survived before and I will survive again.
- I am strong and resilient and I can cope with it.
- This panic attack is temporary and I will overcome it.
- I value myself and can rely on myself and that’s enough for me to carry on.
- I can get through this one breath at a time.
- It sucks that I have to go through this, but I am going through it – and I can handle it.
In the end, your effort to stay alive and comfortable with yourself is more important than the shit that try to drags you down.
So, invest in improving your morale and positive self-talk so that you’re better prepared to overcome adversity and mental health difficulties.
Use therapy, a trustworthy friend, and these amazing positive words to overcome mental health issues and improve your outlook on life.
What’s your favorite word, phrase, or affirmation from this list?